UPDATE : 2018.9.24 MON 04:34
상단여백
HOME Govt/Politics
Two 3 magnitude aftershocks hit S. Korea's southeast

Two aftershocks in the mid-3 magnitude range have rattled South Korea's southeastern city of Pohang, including the second strongest in the series of secondary shocks that followed after a 5.4 magnitude quake hit the region last week.

A 3.6 magnitude tremor came at around 6 a.m. Monday, only hours after a 3.5 magnitude aftershock shook the same coastal city in North Gyeongsang Province, according to the Korea Meteorological Administration.

The state weather agency said the latest tremors originated about 9-12 kilometers beneath the surface, strong enough for almost anyone to feel them and wake up from sleep.

A total of 58 aftershocks have now occurred after the 5.4 magnitude earthquake struck Pohang on Wednesday, causing serious damage to many buildings and leaving hundreds of people homeless. The strongest aftershock was a 4.3 magnitude one that happened on the same day.

The government said 5,569 cases of facility damage had been filed as of 11 p.m. Sunday, up by nearly 2,000 in only six hours. Most of them were to do with houses, including collapsed roofs or partial or full destruction.

More than 300 cases came from business buildings, with about 233 reported from schools.

The number of homeless victims stood at about 1,099 as of 11 p.m. Sunday.

Eighty-three people are reported to be injured, with one in critical condition due to an injury from a rockfall.

Won Hwi  edt@koreapost.com

<저작권자 © 코리아포스트, 무단 전재 및 재배포 금지>

icon인기기사
기사 댓글 0
전체보기
첫번째 댓글을 남겨주세요.
여백
여백
여백
Back to Top