Mattis: U.N. Command to receive remains of troops killed in Korean War
상태바
Mattis: U.N. Command to receive remains of troops killed in Korean War
  • Lee Sam-sun
  • 승인 2018.06.26 09:50
  • 댓글 0
이 기사를 공유합니다

The United Nations Command in South Korea will handle North Korea's return of the remains of American troops killed in the 1950-53 Korean War, U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis has said.

The repatriation was part of an agreement reached by U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un at their historic summit on June 12.

U.S. Forces Korea said over the weekend that it had moved 100 wooden coffins to the inter-Korean border to prepare for the remains' delivery, with about 200 expected to be returned.

"The United Nations Command in ROK, in the Republic of Korea, is prepared, now, to receive those remains," Mattis told reporters Sunday en route to Alaska, according to an official transcript.

From Alaska, the U.S. defense chief is set to travel to China, South Korea and then Japan for consultations with his counterparts.

This compilation image shows South Korean Defense Minister Song Young-moo (L) and an EPA file photo of U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis. (Yonhap)

"They have staged appropriate logistics materials, and we simply are standing by for whenever the diplomatic activities are done. And we're optimistic that it will begin because that was an agreement coming out of Singapore," Mattis said.

The UNC oversees the cease-fire that ended the Korean War.

Mattis explained that the UNC was chosen to receive the remains, not the South Korean or U.S. militaries alone, because all 21 nations that fought under the U.N. flag alongside South Korea and the U.S. lost troops in the conflict.

Once the remains cross the inter-Korean border, they will be moved to the U.S. air base in Osan, south of Seoul.

"There, they will be checked to make sure that they appear to be what we think they are, just to make sure that they're probably from either western countries or other countries that were sending states," Mattis said, adding that the process will take a couple days or a week.

The remains will then be sent to Hickam Air Force Base in Hawaii for forensic identification.

Mattis is scheduled to arrive in Seoul on Thursday for talks with South Korean Defense Minister Song Young-moo.

"Alongside the People's Republic of China and Japan, the United States and the Republic of Korea have a common goal," he said. "That's the complete, irreversible and verifiable denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula, and this will include our agreed-upon reduction to larger-scale exercises, and between Minister (Song) and I, we'll consult on the way ahead."

Mattis was referring to Trump's decision to suspend joint military exercises between the allies while negotiations to dismantle the North's nuclear weapons program are under way.

Early last week Seoul and Washington announced the suspension of a major military exercise slated for August. The Pentagon then added two marine exchange program training exercises to the list Friday.

"We considered both to be consistent with what the two heads of state had come out with," Mattis said. (Yonhap)


댓글삭제
삭제한 댓글은 다시 복구할 수 없습니다.
그래도 삭제하시겠습니까?
댓글 0
댓글쓰기
계정을 선택하시면 로그인·계정인증을 통해
댓글을 남기실 수 있습니다.
주요기사