Hosted by the Korean Red Cross Special Advisory Committee for Women's Services, the '2019 Red Cross Bazaar' was held at COEX in Samsung-dong, on October 2, 2019.
The wives of ambassadors, government officials, deputy ministers, chairman of major firms and heads of financial institutions participated to raise fund to help the vulnerable, such as children, young families, elderly people, and multicultural families. The fund will also support the humanitarian activities conducted by the Red Cross.
Among the co-organizers were the spouse of ambassadors from 14 countries including Algeria, Azerbaijan, Cote d'Ivoire, Japan, Indonesia, Georgia, Tunisia, Uzbekistan, Romania and Thailand.
Other Korean guests in attendance were Honorary Chairman Kim Sook-hee of Special Committee on Women's Services of Korean Red Cross, Vice Chairman Kim Yoon-hee of the Korean Red Cross, Mrs. Hong So-ja, Special Assistant to the President of the Korean Red Cross, Chairman Kang Shin-ae and Vice-Chairman Park Jae-yeon of the Advisory Committee on Women's Services, Mrs. Park Soo-yeon, spouse of Vice-Chairman of the Bank of Korea, Mrs. Yoo Sung-nam, spouse of the President of KB Kookmin Bank, Mrs. Choi Sung-sook, spouse of the President of KOTRA and President Lee Jung-hye of Golden Barn.
Representatives from various media organizations have also participated to take part of the event, including Vice-Chairperson Cho Kyung-hee of The Korea Post media.
More than 60 booths were set up to receive the large crowd of citizens, rushing to obtain the best bargain of the day. Various kinds of products such as clothes, cosmetics, agricultural-related products or even traditional materials from different countries were on display.
“Products are so cheap and are in such good quality compared to products that can be purchased in other bazaars”, said the participating citizen during the event.
She then added, “Since the profit made in today’s occasion is to be used for good purposes, I tend to purchase more than what I need.”
The fund is expected to have raised more than the U.S. $450,000 on that day, worthy enough to be titled as the biggest bazaar fundraising in Korea.
Activities conducted by the Korean Red Cross
• Therapy to relief work of the victim and prisoners of Korean War as military medical institution by Red Cross renegotiation. (negotiation about the prisoner in armistice talks, 1952)
• Aid for sufferers who get problem such as cataclysm, disease, emergency and many problems. (accident about collapse of Seongsu Bridge in 1994, collapse of Sampoong Department Store in 1995)
• Protection for foreign refugee who suffer from war or emergency.
• Build hospital, mobile clinic, emergency medical station and many sites for medical care.
• Aid for blood trouble through a blood donation campaign, management of blood bank and other things. (begins blood campaign first time in Korea, 1965)
• Many safety movements such as first aid, protection of water, mountain activity, environmental preservation.
• Domestic health care such as free cure, remedy for the disabled, and other treats.
• Education movement and adolescent activity.
• Operation of many voluntary services and community service.
• Dissemination of international humanitarian law and principle of Red Cross. (hold the conference of Asia and Pacific volunteer in 1995)
• Aid and mutual cooperation with international Red Cross.
• The continuous search campaigns for separated families, Red Cross movement and conference between North Korea and the Republic of Korea.