South Korean firms that operated in the defunct inter-Korean factory park in the North welcomed Pyongyang's decision on Saturday to suspend nuclear and missile tests and shut down its atomic test site.
"We openly welcome the North's decision to dismantle its nuclear test site," said Shin Han-yong, head an association of Kaesong industrial park's tenant companies, told Yonhap News Agency over the phone.
North Korea said earlier in the day that it has decided to suspend nuclear and missile tests and shut down its atomic test site ahead of its summits with South Korea and the United States.
|Seen from Paju, north of Seoul, in this file photo on Aug. 8, 2016, is North Korea's border town of Kaesong, which used to host South Korean companies at its inter-Korean industrial joint venture complex.|
Shin is one of more than 120 South Korean businessmen who were forced to leave behind their equipment, raw materials and finished goods at the North Korean border city of Kaesong in 2016 when Seoul suddenly pulled the plug on the factory park.
"Our government should announce its intent to resume the Kaesong complex and other economic cooperation ahead of the inter-Korean summit," Shin added.
Ok Seong-seok, head of clothing company Nine Mode, also hailed the North's decision. "Ahead of the inter-Korean summit, the North made its first specific promise relating to its commitment to denuclearize," the businessman said.
"It's seems quite earnest as the North voluntarily made such proposals," he added. (Yonhap)
Kim Jung-mi email@example.com
<저작권자 © 코리아포스트, 무단 전재 및 재배포 금지>