UPDATE : 2019.11.18 MON 11:27
상단여백
HOME Govt/Politics
“U.S. is sticking to ‘Maximum Pressure’ on us, a ‘medieval-era tactic”NK propaganda organ, DPRK Today, blasts U.S.

A North Korean propaganda outlet blasted the United States on Nov. 19, 2018 for sticking to "maximum pressure" in pushing for denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula, calling it a "medieval-era" tactic that would never work on the North.

"The U.S. has forgotten the objectives agreed upon during the Singapore summit, while moving a train off the basic theme and basic track of improving relations between North Korea and the U.S. and peace and now forcing it on a local line of denuclearization through maximum pressure," DPRK Today said in an article.

It added that the U.S. is currently trying to intensify its monitoring system on the North's military activities and hold military drills with Japan by mobilizing nuclear-powered carriers and strategic fighter jets around the Korean Peninsula, calling it an effort to put more pressure on North Korea.

"These acts by the U.S. apparently came from a medieval-era way of thinking that only threatening, coercive and barbarian tactics could enhance its negotiating leverage," it said. "The U.S. needs to realize again that such anti-physical and illogical formula would not work on us."

DPRK Today emphasized that North Korea comes out for talks not because of unbearable outside pressure but when it achieved a marked improvement in its military capabilities.

"It is no other than the U.S. that is not trustworthy and undermines peace," it said.

Its criticism targeting the U.S. came as denuclearization talks have been all but stalled since the June summit in Singapore between President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.

North Korea has called on the U.S. to ease sanctions and join efforts to declare an official end to the Korean War as part of concessions in return for substantive denuclearization steps it claims to have taken, including the shutdown of a major nuclear test site.

The U.S. has been adamant that sanctions will remain in place until the North takes more meaningful and concrete measures.

Further clouding the outlook, the two canceled their planned high-level talks at the last minute earlier this month. The talks were supposed to be a chance for them to discuss nuclear issues and preparations for a possible second summit. (yonhap)

Kim Sua  edt@koreapost.com

<저작권자 © 코리아포스트, 무단 전재 및 재배포 금지>

icon인기기사
기사 댓글 0
전체보기
첫번째 댓글을 남겨주세요.
여백
여백
여백
Back to Top